ECONOMIC POLICY AND LOCAL DEVELOPMENT

Second cycle degree in LOCAL DEVELOPMENT (Ord. 2017)

Campus: PADOVA

Language: English

Teaching period: Second Semester

Lecturer: MARCO RANGONE

Number of ECTS credits allocated: 9


Syllabus
Prerequisites: A basic knowledge of social and economic facts, as they are learned by newspapers and magazines, websites and blogs, broadcasted programs.
Examination methods: After both first and second parts, partial examinations are carried on to assess that students understand and make good use of concepts, language and methods. These partial tests count for 25% each of the final mark. The third part is conceived as a workshop, and a further 20% is given based on student research, presentation and participation to debate. A final written brief essay (open books) based on original material is worth the remaining 30%.

Non attending student will go through a single written exam, made of two parts: the first, based on open questions, worth 70%; the second, a written brief essay with open books based on original material, is worth the remaining 30%.
Course unit contents: Part 1 - General (20h)
This part will deal with the basic relevant notions of an intermediate economics course (cost and benefits, opportunity costs, demand/supply/equilibrium price), assessing the theoretical and empirical requirements that allow individual and collective agents to exploit the advantages of a market-driven economic process (such as property rights; information, knowledge and rationality; entry and exit options; transaction costs; entrepreneurship, risk attitude; technology and innovation).
It will deal with the three basic questions of economic activity (What, how, for whom to produce, i.e. what is the economy for), digging into the different roles of the various spheres of economic activity and the institutions of market economies: money, infrastructures, social capital.
It will provide introductory micro- and macro-economics instruments for geography.

Part 2 - Local economic policies for development (15h)
An introduction to systemic approaches to economic development in the footsteps of Hirschmann, Kapp, Myrdal, Perroux is provided, and used to assess local economic policy issues. By framing development this way, students will dwell critically into a) the conventional view of economic problems and b) the social construction of a public discourse around them.

Part 3 - Themes (28h)
In this section, students will deal with a number of common local economic issues.
- the communitarian economy between growth and social sustainability
- complementary currencies
- the economy as a socio-technical system
- local economies as local labour systems
- the economic impact of (local) events and their legacy
- water management (the Irish case: application of rates and Shannon basin proposal)
- traffic (congestion, prices, car sharing, public transport and infrastructures; uber vs taxis)
- the airfication of cities (airbnb etc.)